Joshua 6:11, 14-15
11. So the ark of YHVH compassed the city, going about it once: and they came into the camp, and lodged in the
14. And the second day they compassed the city once, and returned into the camp: so they did six days.
15. And it came to pass on the seventh day, that they rose early about the dawning of the day, and compassed the
city after the same manner seven times: only on that day they compassed the city seven times.
Can you tell what calendar was Israel using? In order to understand how serious this question might be, please
consider the following…
- The fighting men of Israel were fully prepared to engage in battle.
- They carried with them every weapon at their disposal.
- They also carried with them into battle the sacred Ark of the Covenant.
- This battle or siege took place over SEVEN consecutive days.
Sabbath Keeper -- Which day was the Sabbath?
This is a question that EVERY “Saturday” Sabbatarian must answer. If you say day 1-6, I must say, “I thought you
said the seventh day is the Sabbath.” If you say the seventh day, I must ask, “Then why is Israel marching around
the city seven times and plundering the city on this day?”
For years, my wife asked her Sabbath School teachers this question and not one could honestly give her an
answer. She asked from Kindergarten all the way to high school, and she never got an answer.
What day was the Sabbath during the battle of Jericho? Do you know the answer?
There is no right answer on a repeating seven day calendar.
YHVH had 40 years to teach Israel the Sabbath. Assuming they learned this lesson, (likewise assuming that every
Saturday or every 7th day was the Sabbath) what do you think they thought when YHVH asked them to march
around Jericho for seven consecutive days?
Do you suppose that YHVH would spend all that time teaching them about the Sabbath, then ask Israel to break the
Sabbath a few days after entering the promised land?
OK, let’s ask some questions…
- Is there ANY evidence in Scripture that YHVH ever sent Israel into battle on the OFFENSIVE on the Sabbath?
- Is there ANY evidence in Scripture that the week as we know it (as an uninterrupted seven day cycle) goes all
the way back to the Creation week?
- When Jesus was here, did he correct Israel’s Sabbath observance?
Of course the answer is a resounding, NO on all three counts! There is not one instance in Scripture where YHVH
sent Israel into battle on the offensive on the Sabbath. There is not a single text that says that the Sabbath is every
seventh day in an unbroken cycle, and of course there is no evidence of any Sabbath reform in the NT, so whatever
Sabbath that existed in the OT is represented in the NT.
But if not, then how do we resolve the dilemma presented in the battle of Jericho—a seven consecutive day battle?
Have you ever heard of The Book of Jasher? In two places in Scripture the Book of Jasher is mentioned, Joshua
10:13 and II Samuel 1:18. That is two witnesses. I am not presenting Jasher as Scripture; rather it is a side-by-side
historical chronology of Israel that in many cases reveals data that Scripture does not.
If the penman of Scripture recognized Jasher as accurately portraying these events (even as Scripture was still
being written), it should at least be examined if not outright accepted as an accurate historical record today.
Jasher 88:14 and 17
14. And it was in the second month, on the first day of the month, that YHVH said to Joshua, Rise up, behold I have
given Jericho into thy hand with all the people thereof; and all your fighting men shall go round the city, once each
day, thus shall ye do for six days.
17. And on the seventh day they went round the city seven times, and the priests blew upon trumpets.
Jasher’s account is identical except for one detail. Scripture says first day, second day….and so on until the
seventh day, but it does not say the first or second day of what? Scripture is not lying or hiding anything because
all through Scripture the righteous are understood to be keeping the Creator’s calendar, Jasher just spells it out for
those who do not recognize the Creator’s calendar.
Now we know that the first day of the month is the new moon day (that third category of days that are not counted as
week days). Did Israel march around Jericho on the Sabbath? Let’s put the three categories of days in their proper
places and see what happens.
Each day Israel marched around Jericho a certain number of times (written above the day of the month in green)
1 1 1 1 1 1 7
Israel did not march around Jericho on the Sabbath. Coincidence? Before you tell me that I couldn’t discern truth
even if Yah wrote it on the end of my nose, examine the evidence again and tell me that this is NOT what the
Do you know what the word Jericho means? Strong's H3405, Perhaps from H3394; its month; a place in Palestine: -
From the same as H3391; the moon: - moon.
Historically, Jericho was a center for moon worship. The very first thing YHVH had Israel do was destroy a pagan
moon worship system and at the same time reestablish His own lunar/solar calendar and Sabbath.
The battle of Jericho is more of a Calendar statement than it is about the conquest of Israel.
4. The battle of Jericho was a seven day affair. Which day was the Sabbath?
Scripture proves the Calendar of Creation: